On 3 February 2021, the EC published its much-awaited Beating Cancer Plan. The Plan develops proposals and key initiatives for each stage of the disease, remarking the role that research, innovation and new technologies play in the fight against cancer.
The Beating Cancer Plan’s action focuses on the entire disease pathway: prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment as well as quality of life of cancer patients and survivors. It will be implemented with the support of the EU funding instruments with a total of €4 billion.
The Plan outlines the potential of new technologies and recent scientific advances to better address cancer. Adapting the use of innovation to cancer research is presented as an essential step forward to understand how to prevent, detect, diagnose, and treat this disease more effectively.
The Plan is structured around ten flagship initiatives, supported by a number of other concrete actions and reinforced by parallel Commission’s initiatives. Among these flagships, the following 5 initiatives are of particular relevance for the in silico medicine community:
1. The launch of a Knowledge Centre on Cancer in early 2021
2. The setup of the European Cancer imaging Initiative in 2022
3. The creation of an EU Network linking recognised National Comprehensive Cancer Centres in every EU Member States
4. The establishment of the Cancer Diagnostic and Treatment for All initiative by the end of 2021
5. The launch of the Helping Children with Cancer Initiative
Full information on the Plan can be found at https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_342